Wednesday, March 20, 2013

In Times of Trouble



The book of Psalms is the largest book of the Bible.  It contains 150 songs
and poems.  Some are songs of praise and thanks.  Others are songs asking
for help or forgiveness.  Even though they were written thousands of years
ago, they still inspire God’s people to sing and pray.

Israel’s second king, David, was the author of today’s scripture.  God had
delivered David from his enemies.  David, in turn, assures the children of
Israel that God will help them, too.  “I pray that the Lord answers you
whenever you are in trouble.” (Psalms 20:1, CEB)  As the chapter ends, David
reminds the Israelites to trust in God and to praise His name.

As I reflect on this scripture, I have to admit that I don’t always go to God
in times of trouble.  I try to “fix” things myself.  David reminds us we don’t
have to go it alone.  God is there to help us if only we will ask.  “Let God
grant what is in your heart and fulfill all your plans.” (Psalms 20:4, CEB)

Prayer:  Dear God, help me to trust in you in times of trouble.  Remind me
of your almighty power, and unending love.  Teach me to “let go and let God.”     
Amen.

Patty Jennings   

No comments:

Post a Comment