Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Simple Satisfaction



Using a metaphor of thirst and drink to the people gathered near Him, Jesus is offering something to satisfy their life that no one listening had ever heard before…Himself.  For the listeners, it is hard for them to understand how a person could offer so much.  To be fair, they had yet to have the knowledge and experience of his death and resurrection as we do now.  Nevertheless, the crowd responds by getting caught up in the details (ultimately causing conflict and division), missing the main point.  Is He a Prophet or the Christ?  What about his birthplace and lineage?  On the outside looking in, this may seem foolish to us.  For instance, if a man was wandering the desert and was offered water by someone else to satisfy his extreme thirst, his response would probably not be, “is this water tap or bottled?” or “is it Evian or Dasani?”  He would probably just drink the water!  We too have the opportunity to simply seek Jesus as the means to satisfy our life.  However, we can get lost in the details as well.  Maybe it doesn’t sound the same as this crowd, but things like “I’m really busy today, maybe tomorrow” or “I just need to get [blank] myself, then I’ll be better off” can hinder us from seeking Christ first in our lives.  Putting our trust in Jesus as the true provider is the only means towards being satisfied, done simply by following after Him. “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink.”

Prayer: Father, You are the one that satisfies my life.  Let today be a day that I seek You in all that I do.  Help me to be aware of the details and distractions that come in the way.  You have promised, “…seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you” (Matt 6:33).  May I be focused on seeking Your kingdom first and trust in Your infinite knowledge, that You will provide what is best for me.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Charlie Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment