Wednesday, February 13, 2013

What’s with the Trumpets at the Charity Fair?



Visit a park and you’ll often hear, “watch me, Mom.”  Even as children we seek the audience of those around us.  It’s human nature to seek the attention and approval of others.  That is not a bad thing, it’s just a fact.

In the scripture we are looking at today, Jesus is addressing a crowd in his Sermon on the Mount.  In this particular passage Jesus advises the people on the mountainside, and us today, to be careful not to practice our righteousness in front of others to be seen by them.  If our motivation to practice righteousness is to be seen by others then we receive our reward then in full - nothing significant.

What do you mean “practice our righteousness?”  Jesus lists giving to the needy, praying and fasting, as examples of practicing our righteousness.  When we do these things we are to do them secretly to show our heavenly Father that He alone is our target audience.

When we honor God in this way we store up treasures for ourselves in heaven where they
cannot be destroyed or stolen.  This is a wonderful opportunity.  First strengthen my
one-on-one relationship with my Father by honoring Him with my resources and store up treasures for myself for eternity.  I’m in!

Prayer:  God, let my actions honor you and know that my prayers are for your attention.  Help me be focused solely on you when I am practicing my righteousness.  Amen.

Aimee Greening

No comments:

Post a Comment