Sunday, April 1, 2012

Got Trust!


Scripture: Psalm 56

The world in which we live today is full of adversaries, we hear it day in and day out on TV and in the newspapers we read.  We fight the wars on drugs, terrorism, unemployment, obesity, anxiety, depression, and on “family values”.  We willingly divide ourselves into red vs. white, us vs. them, and “middle class” vs. everyone else.  Our children are bullied on the playground and cries of “it’s not my fault”.  They turn into grownups with guest spots on reality shows or
too-good–to-be-true gimmicks to help us lose weight, grow hair, cope with anxiety, depression, become wealthy or better yet, a trip to the plastic surgeon to boost our self- esteem, or so we think.  We are constantly in a state of panic or worrying about where the money is coming from.

Our obsession with false adversaries can also drown out the real needs, real pains, and real struggles we face in our world.  The enemy is everywhere watching and waiting for us to fall.  This passage strikes me as a call for us to put things into perspective when considering the scope of our problems.  Its message of comfort is not restricted to only those in need the most, instead the psalmist says with confidence, “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you; in God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I am not afraid; what can flesh do to me?” 

Facing up to life’s difficulties may be a frightening experience. But when we trust God and draw close to Him, we’ll experience real deliverance.

Prayer: Loving God, help us to grown in faith and trust in you our Creator and Sustainer. Amen.

Elizabeth Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment